NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Error Message in Capture

Moderators: lata, Ken Berry

Error Message in Capture

Postby JonJenkins » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:48 am

After finally figuring out the previous problems with capturing HDV (installing upgraded Direct X) VS11+ has been running fine. However I want to capture some video from some old videos so I purchased one of those USB based Composite to MPEG devices (a DVD Maker USB 2.0 [USB 2800D] www.kworld.com.tw). Using other sw this device works OK to capture video and although it appears in the VS11 menu of capture devices I get the following error when I try to capture from it:

Capture Module initialization failed
Open driver failed
Cannot create the video capture filter
[15064:10:1]

Does anyone have any suggestions as I would really like to be able to use VS11/11.5+ to do the capture as well.

thanks
JonJenkins

Postby lancecarr » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:37 pm

Unfortunately there is a lack of standardization regarding the field of capture devices. Even though VS is detecting the device it does not mean that the two can have any meaningful dialogue!

The general rule here is that for this type of capture, use the software that came with the device as it will have been tweaked to the device. Once you have successfully captured then navigate to the files on your hard drive from within VS and you can begin working on them using VS.
lancecarr

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: eMachines ET1861
processor: 3.20 gigahertz Intel Core i5 650
ram: 8GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series
sound_card: ATI High Definition Audio Device
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 700GB

Postby JonJenkins » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:46 pm

lancecarr wrote:Unfortunately there is a lack of standardization regarding the field of capture devices. Even though VS is detecting the device it does not mean that the two can have any meaningful dialogue!

OK, I had assumed that if it detects it and other sw can use it then it might at least have a chance of working.

The general rule here is that for this type of capture, use the software that came with the device as it will have been tweaked to the device. Once you have successfully captured then navigate to the files on your hard drive from within VS and you can begin working on them using VS.

Yep might have to do that, however VS11.5 automatically does scene clipping on the input stream which will save me hours of work as I have about 50 3 hour video tapes to convert to DVD and the sw which came with the device doesn't do any automatic scene detection :-(

thanks for your quick response

jon
JonJenkins

Postby lancecarr » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:56 pm

Hi Jon, yeah it's a pain.
If you use the other software and pull the footage on to the ahrd drive as one big MPEG2 then just load it on to the timeline. Then look for the icon that says, "Split by Scene" and let it run. Usually VS can do a good job of detecting the scenes and will slice it up for you.
lancecarr

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: eMachines ET1861
processor: 3.20 gigahertz Intel Core i5 650
ram: 8GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series
sound_card: ATI High Definition Audio Device
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 700GB

Postby JonJenkins » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:53 pm

lancecarr wrote:Hi Jon, yeah it's a pain.
If you use the other software and pull the footage on to the ahrd drive as one big MPEG2 then just load it on to the timeline. Then look for the icon that says, "Split by Scene" and let it run. Usually VS can do a good job of detecting the scenes and will slice it up for you.

Yep, thanks I had a quick play with this it just makes it a two step operation but I suppose I shouldn't complain the fact that it does it all is a bonus :-)
JonJenkins

Return to VideoStudio