No audio in clip using USB capture

Postby Cees80 on Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:38 am

Nature of the problem
In trying to capture using Pinnacle 510-USB device with composite leads from VCR tape I get good video but no audio. I am using Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus. I can use Pinnacle app to capture in MPEG and import the mpg file to Studio but would like to just use Studio for all steps.

Properties of your source files (format, file size, where did you get it?)
I used a VCR tape
What devices are involved and their mode of connection?
Pinnacle 510-USB with composite leads to device and then to USB and PC
Project Settings MPEG or AVI capture format
Output format (file, DVD, VCD, SVCD) mpg output file
PAL or NTSC NTSC
Error Codes (if any) None
I am not using a special audio card in my PC just the motherboard audio that came with my Dell E520 and using Win Vista Home Premium. The Pinnacle app did not work well with Vista, but the Ulead 11 Plus has done very well in editing and burning to DVD. Does anyone have a suggestion to help me record the audio as well as the video? Thanks for any help.
Cees
Retired but enjoy using PC
Cees80

Postby Ken Berry on Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:59 am

Unless they have changed their policy recently, Pinnacle has always been notorious for making their capture devices only work properly with their own software. So I am afraid you will have to continue your current workflow of capturing with whatever version of Pinnacle Studio came with the device, and then editing the captured files in VS11.

Hopefully, someone will quickly tell us if I am wrong in this, but I suspect I am not. :cry: :roll:
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 17FB 10.58
processor: i7 2.2 GHz
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 7690M XT 1 GB RAM
sound_card: On Board Intel
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 640 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BENQ G2420 HD 1920x1080 24"

Postby Cees80 on Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:52 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply. I just don't understand where the audio signal goes during capture. I tried bypassing the USB audio input and ran the audio into the line in port on my PC but that didn't work either. I like everything to work properly and thought someone might have a work around. I'll go back and use the Pinnacle app to capture. I had been using a Leadtek PC capture card with my WinXP PC but that card did not work with Vista and Leadtek did not update a driver for Vista for that card. Thanks again.
Cees
Cees80

Postby Ken Berry on Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:46 pm

As I said, the Pinnacle card is manufactured in such a way that programs other than the Pinnacle one, will not be able to "see" -- or in this case "hear" -- all aspects of the capture card. Period. There is no work-around, and no amount of changing plugs and cables into different jacks on your computer can change that. The only work-around is to use the Pinnacle software to capture...
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Postby Cees80 on Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:36 pm

OK. I give up and will use the Pinnacle UBS. Thanks for your suggestions.
Cees80

Postby Asmcode on Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:43 am

The problem here isn't with Pinnacle. If the Pinnacle drivers were only made for Pinnacle software, then Cees80 wouldn't even get any video.
The real problem here is with Video Studio. USB capture devices push the audio to the sound card's WAVE input and most video programs with capturing ability aren't programmed to get the audio from there. If you plug the TV audio into the AUX or LINE IN input of a soundcard instead of using the USB connectors, then Video Studio has to be told to look there for the audio.
You just click the 'Options' button (it looks like a gear) on the Capture screen and the audio input can be selected there.

Almost all video programs suffer from poor design. For video capture, there are components called 'Direct Show Filters' which are different code modules that are connected together to provide video playback, video capture, audio capture, etc. Unfortunately, almost all video programs are not created with the flexibility to handle the different possible DSF configurations for video capture. This, and other problems makes video capture devices a hit & miss peripheral, where you only have about a 60% chance that a particular capture device will work with your system. Anyone who wants to buy a TV/capture device should buy it from a store which allows you to return a product if you aren't satisfied with it.

By the way, PCI video capture cards are better than USB capture devices, not only because of the WAVE input problem, but USB devices take more CPU time than PCI devices.
Asmcode

Postby Cees80 on Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:32 pm

You have provided with useful suggestions and I appreciate very much your help. As you suggested when I checked under Options for capture, I found video choices of composite or S-video. Unfortunately, there was no choice for audio input only "Pass through to sound card". I tried to bypass the USB audio input and connected to line-in port but it did not work. I still get video but no sound. Your comment about using a PCI capture card is what I had been using with my XP system, but the LeadTek card could not be updated with a driver for the Vista OS. I decided not to buy another PCI card.
At least you have suggested the reason for the problem. I appreciate your discussion of how movie capture clips are made. Thanks so much. I will go back to using my Pinnacle program for capture.
Cees
Cees80

Postby sjj1805 on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:58 pm

Please view:
no sound
Regards, Steve Jones, Web Board Administrator
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: E
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Postby aaronp on Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:03 am

I'm having similar no audio issues with Dazzle DVC80 (USB) and VideoStudio11. I tried the steps in your post re: setting up Windows Sound settings to check the active option in Recording Control. I selected Line In there and then in VideoStudio capture options I set audio input source = Line In to match (video input source = Composite). When I try to capture with Source = Pinnacle DVC80 Video and Format = MPEG, the video comes in fine but still no audio. Ideas? Thanks.[/img]
aaronp

Postby Ron P. on Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:45 am

Welcome to the forums Aaron,

If you've read any of Ken Berry's posts concerning anything Pinnacle, you would have noticed a very common statement. That statement being along the lines of, Pinnacle makes all it's stuff proprietary, so you have to use their capture software for it to work.

Have you tried capturing with the software that came with your Dazzle device?

FWIW, I have an old Dazzle thing in a box or drawer somewhere. I haven't located it recently. If and when I do, I'm going to place it in the trash can, where it works best..;) In other words, I recommend getting a capture device that will work.

Some here use Hauppage cards, and some like myself use a Digital 8 camcorder's pass-through to capture.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 8
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell SE198WFP-Desktop

Postby Ken Berry on Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:39 pm

And if you use a Hauppage card, again you are better using the software which came with it!! :lol:
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Postby Richard--E on Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:29 pm

I think it is a problem with VideoStudio 11.

I started with VideoStudio 9 and later upgraded to VideoStudio 10 - both worked 100% OK - I captured loads of video - all WITH sound!

Recently upgraded to VideoStudio 11 - and NO sound!

Same computer, same VideoExpress capture box (VideoStudio 9 was the software supplied with it) - just NO sound.

Spent ages trying all sorts of things to try to get sound to work - but absolute silence!

Tried the suggestions above but no success - anyone had the problem and actually got it to work?

If not, how do I get a refund?
Richard--E

Postby Richard--E on Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:19 pm

Rather disappointed my newly upgraded VideoStudio 11 didn't have any sound, I thought I would look at the video clips I had created whilst trying to get it to work using Windows Media Player to check the quality.

To my surprise - one of the clips HAD SOUND.

I then tried the edit mode in VideoStudio 11 and - surprise, surprise! It had sound there too!

I went back thorough the permutations of settings and it seems in the Control Panel the Recording Device has to be set to USB 2.0 Analog Audio Device and within the Capture Options the Input Device has to be SPDIF.

It seems VideoStudio 11 Capture Mode HAS NO SOUND (whereas it used to have sound in the earlier versions!) but it is actually recording the sound.

Am I being daft here - or is this a new "Feature" in VideoStudio 11??
Richard--E

Postby Ron P. on Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:30 pm

No, not being daft at all. Corel has us all guessing just how the heck it is suppose to work. They replaced the capture driver that has worked for years (MSDW) with their own IVI capture driver/plug-in. It will not allow A-D pass-through conversion capturing, or capturing analog from a DV machine, it just doesn't allow capturing analog (I think).

Whatever means, methods that you use to get the results you are after, is what we recommend. Even though I feel that the product should behave as advertised, if it doesn't then using other apps to get the job done is what needs to be.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 8
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell SE198WFP-Desktop

Postby Ken Berry on Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:58 pm

Just to bolster what Ron just said: if you are using a capture box with VS11, that implies you are trying to capture from an analogue source. And VS 11+ has a now acknowledged bug which prevents it from capturing any analogue source material because of the changed capture plug-in. It won't capture it from a capture device like yours; it won't capture it from a digital video camera connected via Firewire and being used as a pass-through device; and it won't capture even from a Sony Digital8 camera actually playing an analogue 8 tape back via Firewire.

There are a lot of disgruntled users, believe me. And I am one of them. Corel has known about this problem for at least 3 months, virtually since the program was released. We understand they are working on a patch for this and other problems, but we have absolutely no idea when that might emerge.

Meanwhile, all we can advise is to use a program which you know works with your capture device. You can capture with that program, and then, if you still want to use it, open the captured files in VS11 for editing...
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin