"DetectLanguage() Failure. Exiting" [SOLVED]

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

Re: "DetectLanguage() Failure. Exiting" [SOLVED]

Postby artrina on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:01 pm

I got this error for the first time after using PSP for more than 6 months. I got it after I tried to be able to e-mail photos from the program. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and so far it works.

I'm going to save the solution I see here. I hate to play with the registry, but, if the problem happens again I will.
artrina

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Postby SteveF48 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:32 pm

The solution doesn't work for me. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and there is no 13 key in the registry.
The rest of the tree is as described WOW6432 etc., but under Paintshop Pro there's an X3 section. This doesn't have a Lang entry.
I tried addin Lang and changing (default) to EN, but still have the problem.
I've also tried emailing Corel, but they require data from the program in their submission form DOH! The program doesn't work, so how can I ask it what build it is?
There's a For help in finding this information click here link, but that tells me I'm not allowed to access the page.
I gave up on Adobe Elements, because it's too slow. Might have to give up on PainShop (that's a deliberate mistake) Pro as it's too much trouble.
SteveF48

motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION Narra6 6.01
processor: AMD Athlon II X2 215
ram: 4GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Novatech V7 L17GM

Postby Kathy_9 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:14 pm

Once you got to the X3 folder did you then go to the PSP Classic folder? This is where my Language folder is located and EN is within the Language folder.
Using PSP X6 without SP1 or SP2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37153430@N03/
Kathy_9

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: MSI 2A9C
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 860
ram: 8GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 750GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP 2010i 20" HD Ready LCD

Postby LeviFiction on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:53 pm

Kathy_9, what are you talking about? The fix for this is something you do in the registry, and the registry doesn't have a PSPClassic folder.

Now was this under "Paint Shop Pro" or "Paint Shop Photo Pro"? I realize that sounds like a ridiculous question but I ask because I have folders for both in my registry. "Paint Shop Photo Pro" has the "X3" folder while "Paint Shop Pro" has the 13 folder with the installer folder in that and the Lang key in that.

If this isn't the case then maybe the registry wasn't set up properly the first time and you need to attempt a repair (assuming you haven't already done so, you don't indicate that you had.)

If this does continue with no real resolution keep an eye out for the next one. Perhaps they'll pull off a miracle and give us something a little less painful to deal with.

As for what version number you have - that's easy. First, tell us which version you have, regular or ultimate. Then tell us which patches you've installed and we can tell you which version you have.
LeviFiction
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 8 Pro
motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K52F 1.0
processor: 2.53 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 460
Video Card: Intel[R] HD Graphics
sound_card: Conexant SmartAudio HD
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB

Postby Kathy_9 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:05 am

LeviFiction wrote:Kathy_9, what are you talking about? The fix for this is something you do in the registry, and the registry doesn't have a PSPClassic folder.

I wish I knew - it's been a long day. I was confusing the file location with the registry and I should know this as I've actually had to apply this fix after trying to utilize the email function within PSP. Should read Paint Shop Pro and not PSP Classic.
Using PSP X6 without SP1 or SP2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37153430@N03/
Kathy_9

motherboard: MSI 2A9C
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 860
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 750GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP 2010i 20" HD Ready LCD

Postby SteveF48 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:51 am

DOH, I was looking under Paintshop Photo Pro. How stupid, my only excuse is that yesterday all four of the programs I tried to use fell over with indecipherable error messages.
The stupid thing is that under Paint Shop Pro (that's why I didn't find it yesterday I was searching for Paintshop, without a space) there are values for Language and Product Language, why Corel needs 3 identical language values is a mystery.
I'll try altering the correct key when I have time and see whether that cures the problem.
Thanks
SteveF48

motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION Narra6 6.01
processor: AMD Athlon II X2 215
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Novatech V7 L17GM

Postby Miguel Melo on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:33 pm

I was the one that posted the original "fix" and, unfortunately, had the same problem come back again last week. :shock: I run the procedure again and I can confirm that it still fixes it, so it should be good for your. :D
Miguel Melo

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Postby 5thumbsandnotablet on Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:04 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's posted the solution to this, especially for the Win 7 64-bit info. I ran into the Lang problem today and could've wasted hours if it wasn't for this forum.
5thumbsandnotablet

ram: 6GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell SP2309W

Postby MToiviainen on Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi,

I encountered same problem when have used PSP X3 just a few weeks. Unfortunately the fix shown here is not working with me because I'm running a scandinavian language version (Finnish language). When I change the registry entry to "EN" software starts normally but in english (OF COURSE!). I tried to change registry entry to "FI", but this doesn't work at all (program didn't start at all). So, what the registry entry value should be in my version?? Is there another registry entries which I should modified too?

If somebody knows the way how I can start PSP in original language again without re-installing the software, please answer quickly. Do remove/re-install work properly if software is in this state??

BTW: Using regedit should NEVER NEVER NEVER be the solution to application software failures.
I really didn't expect to found bugs like this in Corel software.
MToiviainen

motherboard: ASUS EAH5450 series
processor: AMD Athlon II X4 645
ram: 4 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 750 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG IPS246V 23"

Postby MToiviainen on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi again,

Thank you "atheist" and everyone else about good tips. I like to add following small information for users other than english-language versions of PaintShopPhoto Pro X3: When you have made the registry entry fix (LANG="EN") and started program again in english version, you can change it back to original language by File |Specifications | Change Language. It worked for me, anyway (I'm using the Finnish language version at 64-bit Win 7 Home Premium platform).
MT

atheist wrote:Got the same error code just now, good thing Corel has this forum 8)

For those that find fiddling with regedit a little overwhelming you could put the following in a text file and save is as "corellangsetting.reg" (the .reg is the important bit) and then double click that file and accept the change.

64BIT:
Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Corel\Paint Shop Pro\13\Installer]
"Lang"="EN"

32BIT:
Code: Select all
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Corel\Paint Shop Pro\13\Installer\Lang]
"Lang"="EN"
MToiviainen

motherboard: ASUS EAH5450 series
processor: AMD Athlon II X4 645
ram: 4 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 750 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG IPS246V 23"

Postby wick on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Got the DetectLanguage() Failure error after installing a patch on PSP X3 under Vista 64-bit. Sure enough the problem was the Lang = "" registry issue. I opened RegEdit & set Lang to "EN" as suggested, & that worked perfectly. Sigh.

Noticed there's a "Language" = "English" setting too. Double sigh.
wick

processor: Intel i5 M460
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB

Previous

Return to Paint Shop Pro